Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Media Meditation4: A Life of Convergence.


My morning routine involves waking up, getting a bowl of Special K, and watching/reading the news and its been this way since I was in 6th grade. My dad would always have two news papers already read and I would get to look through them. I would start with the front page and work my way to the sports, and not even read cartoons.

It has always been this way and been this simple. I love news papers but since going to boarding school I've had my routine changed. I went from print to screen and watched loads of videos that CNN posted on their website.

Now I'm in college and I constantly have multiple forms of technology at my fingertips. Now every morning I grab my IPad instead of news paper or computer and its the New York Times followed by CNN on my IPad. I love it because when I'm rushed in the morning I can keep reading while walking and in class with out having to worry about pages falling all over the place or ink on my hands when I'm eating.

Even in my first thirty minutes of being awake, my life is full of convergence. It is amazing how much things have changed in the past 11 years. Convergence on the digital high way was what use to be the important thing and the next 11 years looks much better.

Already e-readers, mobile phones/videos, internet, social networking, games, and computing have been able to become one device and all is connected through WiFi and/or 3G. If you have avoided the IPad for the past year, take a moment and see what it can really do.

The IPad is just as revolutionizing of a gadget as TV and a computer, because it combines the both. For almost two decades people have been a gadget where you can consume different types of media in that one piece of technology. Most television is already available online, there is a Kindle app and Ibook store, Itunes lets you have music, tv, movies, and the Internet. The IPad is the perfect shape and size for a convergence box! It is the size of a small TV or novel, viewrs dont have to squint to watch videos on the YouTube app. The IPad is the reality of a long lived fantasy of many gadget and media consumers.

The IPad does it all... As long as all you want to do is consume media...


2 comments:

  1. Excellent "convergence" meditation, Laura.

    I'm not yet sold on the iPad - as a "revolutionary" (not "revolutionizing" - fix this language) - though it sounds as though you are!

    Maybe you can bring yours to class?

    Fine blogging,

    Gage

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply stated, Laura...

    EXCELLENT blogging this semester!

    I have so enjoyed watching you work your magic on Twitter, Blogger, and other social media.

    You are going to have a blast next fall with RETN.

    Thanks for diving into our new convergent digital media universe with such enthusiasm.

    Rawk 'em!

    Dr. W

    ReplyDelete